Monday, August 26, 2013

Pair of Pinks (in pastel)


I recently decided to offer fine art prints of my work. I have a very nice Epson printer that is capable of producing those quality prints. I've had it for years. On Friday I was printing a reference photo for a new painting when I heard the printer, which normally sounds exactly like a saw cutting wood, start going squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. I thought, "Oh no!" When I looked at the photo coming out it was covered in what looked like pollen dust. Then I saw a piece of what turned out to be a wing! Then came a few legs! A moth had managed to crawl into the printer. 

When I decided to focus on painting I thought that would give me some relief from dealing with computer/technology problems. Think again! I called the nearest printer repair shop in the Springs. After finding out it would cost me $90 just to have them look at it, I decided to run a few more photos through and hope the moth parts cleared out. It helped but was not back to normal. Then I remembered that I could clean the ink heads using printer utility software only to find out the software no longer worked with Mac System X Lion which is what's on my computer. So I downloaded the latest printer utility software version but for some unknown reason this printer wasn't in my printer list so I couldn't use the software on it. As a last resort I started reading the manual. (Isn't that always the last resort? : ) Thankfully I found a paragraph that told me how to do a "power cleaning" by just pushing a button on the printer. Alleluia! It worked. Time to cover the printer to avoid future moth invasions.

The above 5 x 7 inch painting is a pastel version of the same subject I did in oil a few weeks ago. You can purchase this framed painting for $100 in my Etsy shop. Click here to purchase. This painting is also available as a giclée print in my Etsy shop. Click here to purchase the print.

No comments:

Post a Comment